Spring safety

Keep your family and business safe

Propane is efficient, versatile and safe for homes and businesses - but if you suspect a leak, it's important to know what to do.

Text with links grid component

  • Content

    What are the possible signs of a gas leak?

    • You smell rotten eggs.
    • You hear air or a hissing sound near your propane equipment.
    • Your propane usage is higher than normal.


    What to do if you think you have a gas leak?

    • Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames.
    • Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones or cellphones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or fire.
    • Shut off the gas. If it is safe to do so, turn off the main supply valve on your propane tank. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
    • Leave the area immediately. Have everyone evacuated immediately from the building or area where you suspect propane is leaking.
    • Do not return to the building or area. Stay away and only return when the local fire department and your Irving Energy Technician determine it is safe to do so.
    • Report the leak. Call your local fire department or dial 911, then call our Irving Energy team at 1.888.310.1924 from a building or area away from the gas leak.


    Things to keep in mind:

    • We recommend you have a CSA-approved carbon monoxide detector.
    • After a leak, get your system checked. Before you attempt to use any heating source or appliance, a qualified Irving Energy Technician must inspect your system to ensure it is leak-free.
    • Be alert for potential issues. Regularly look for signs of leaks in and around your home.
    • If you see damage to the lines or if your tank has shifted position, turn off the main gas supply valve to your tank as long as it is safe to do so.
    • Whether it’s for repairs, renovations or landscaping projects, contact your municipality before beginning any digging or excavating projects.
    • Be prepared for flooding. Floods can have serious effects on your home’s energy supply. If you have any questions or concerns, give us a call at 1.888.310.1924.
    • If a technician is working in your home, please keep your pets in a safe, enclosed area.