Pier 24 South Side Rd.
St. John’s, NL
Hours of operation:
24/7, 365 days a year
At Irving Oil, safety is a core value and is fundamental to how we operate our business every day. We always strive to do the right things, in the right ways, at all times for our employees, our communities and the environment.
About the St. John’s Marine Terminal
Irving Oil operates an oil product terminal at the St. John’s Marine Terminal.
Products handled at this facility include:
- Regular and supreme gasoline
- Distillates – Combustible liquids such as furnace oil, ultra low sulphur diesel, and marine gas oil
The following information outlines the potential effects of these substances in the unlikely event of an emergency.
- Gasoline is an odorous, flammable liquid. Gasoline is a health hazard and falls under the “combustible” hazard category under federal E2 Regulations. Gasoline can be easily ignited by high temperatures, sparks or flames. Gasoline can create an explosive atmosphere if an unplanned release occurs.
- Distillate products are odorous combustible liquids. Distillates are a health hazard and fall under the “pool fire” hazard category under federal E2 Regulations. Distillates can release vapours that can form flammable mixtures. This can create an explosive atmosphere if an unplanned ignition occurs.
- Exposure to high concentrations of gasoline and distillates by inhalation can result in headaches, nausea, dizziness, and/or a burning sensation in the chest. Direct contact can cause skin irritation.
- Gasoline and distillates can contaminate soil and water if they are released to the environment.
Our safety commitment
Irving Oil has a rigorous emergency management program in place to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from incidents. Across our operations, these plans are part of our standard procedures. At our St. John’s facility, our emergency management plans are based primarily on prevention, with equipment inspection and maintenance programs in place. In addition, employees are trained in detailed operating and emergency procedures with a constant focus on safe and efficient operations.
In the unlikely event of an emergency at our St. John’s Marine Terminal, we wish to share the following information with our neighbours.
Irving Oil’s website and social media platforms are the best places to find the latest information about our operations:
In the unlikely event of an emergency on site, Irving Oil will notify local authorities immediately, and work proactively to help protect public safety. Please follow instructions provided by your local authorities. If an incident has occurred, please refrain from visiting the facility. It is possible that you may smell an odour; this does not always signify danger.
The St. John’s Central Fire Station and regional Emergency Management Division will follow internal protocols in the event of an emergency at this facility. If you become aware of an incident, please call 911. The St. John’s Central Fire Station can also be contacted at 709.576.8644.
Please note that Irving Oil will not provide instructions on matters of public safety such as evacuation protocols as this is the jurisdiction of the local authorities.