From the Saint John refinery to our East Saint John Terminal
Hours of operation:
24/7, 365 days a year
At Irving Oil, safety is a core value and is fundamental to how we operate our business every day. We always strive to do the right things, in the right ways, at all times for our employees, our communities and the environment.
About 59 Pipeway
Irving Oil operates multiple above-ground pipelines which run from our Saint John refinery to our East Saint John Terminal.
Products handled in these pipelines include:
- Petroleum crude oil
- Heavy Distillate Hydrocarbons such as asphalt, flux, and bunker fuel
- Middle Distillate Hydrocarbons such as heating oil or diesel
- Light Hydrocarbons such as gasoline
- Liquified Petroleum Hydrocarbons such as butane
- Process water
The following section outlines the potential effects of these substances in the unlikely event of an emergency.
- Petroleum crude oil is a thick black liquid composed primarily of hydrogen and carbon. Exposure to petroleum crude oil can cause eye, skin, gastrointestinal and respiratory irritation; the product may be harmful if inhaled.
- Middle Distillate Hydrocarbons can release vapours that can form flammable mixtures and can cause eye, skin, gastrointestinal, and respiratory irritation. They may be harmful if inhaled.
- Gasoline is an odorous, flammable liquid. Gasoline can be easily ignited by high temperatures, sparks or flames and can create an explosive atmosphere if an unplanned release occurs. Exposure to high concentrations of gasoline by inhalation can result in headaches, nausea, dizziness, and/or a burning sensation in the chest. Direct contact can cause skin irritation.
- Butane is a flammable liquified petroleum gas; the additive Mercaptan in butane may cause a rotten egg smell. Direct contact with butane may cause injury. An explosive atmosphere can be created if an unplanned release occurs.
- Asphalt, flux, and bunker fuel are odorous substances that are combustible. Inhalation of vapours may be harmful and cause dizziness.
- Process water is water from the facility’s containment tanks. It may contain small amounts of oil.
- All above substances can contaminate soil and water if released to the environment.
Our safety commitment
Irving Oil has a rigorous emergency management program in place to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from incidents. Across our operations, these plans are part of our standard procedures. Along 59 Pipeway, our emergency management plans are based primarily on prevention, with equipment inspection and maintenance programs in place. In addition, employees are trained in detailed operating and emergency procedures with a constant focus on safe and efficient operations.
In the unlikely event of an emergency along 59 Pipeway, we wish to share the following information with our neighbours.
Irving Oil’s website and social media is the best place to find the latest information about our operations:
If you become aware of an incident, please contact 506.202.3000. In the case of an emergency, please call 911.
In the unlikely event of an emergency regarding the pipelines, Irving Oil will notify local authorities immediately, and work proactively to help protect public safety. Please follow instructions provided by your local authorities. If an incident has occurred, please refrain from visiting the facility. It is possible that you may smell an odour; this does not always signify danger.
The Saint John Fire Department and Saint John Emergency Management Organization will follow internal protocols in the event of an emergency regarding these pipelines.
The Saint John Emergency Management Organization offers an Emergency Alert Service that allows residents to be notified by email or phone of a potential emergency. In order to receive notification through this service, please visit saintjohn.ca or contact the City of Saint John at 506.658.2910.
Please note that Irving Oil will not provide instructions on matters of public safety such as evacuation protocols as this is the jurisdiction of the local authorities.
For more information
If you are interested in learning more about our facility, we encourage you to contact us at [email protected] or 1.888.310.1924.